Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Twitter reflections from #FETC

     While I have attended multiple tech conferences, 2014 was my first experience attending the Florida Educational Technology Conference (FETC). Disappointed is NOT a word I would use to describe the experience. Words like motivated, inspired, and refreshing come to mind as the keynotes, sessions, and even the exhibitor area were great. In fact, after an extremely interesting opening keynote from Danny Forster the host of "Build it Bigger". There was a traffic jam getting out an into the exhibitor area? What on earth (I thought) could be causing a traffic jam in the exhibition hall. Then before I even turned the corner the picture below by Lyndsi Smith popped up on the twitter feed. Aerial Acrobats in the exhibitor hall, WHAT??? What does that have to do with #EdTech you ask? To be honest I have no clue, but it was clear this would be an interesting conference.

     What follows is my usual twitter debrief after a conference. The twitter backchannel at FETC was great and buzzing at #FETC & #FETCchat . If you have never tried taking your conference notes with twitter I suggest you give it a try at your next conference. Not only do you get to reflect on your thoughts, but you catch thoughts, pics, and ideas from others as well. Not to mention you benefit others at the conference and those remotely who can follow the ideas, thoughts, motivation, and resources being presented. Without further ado, here are what I deem to be some of the highlights from my FETC 2014 twitter feed, enjoy.


Glad 2b hope others delayed by can make it!




is really demonstrating how if u have passion u can make any subject interesting. Have passion 4 what u teach!!!

Awesome quote by Danny Forster ... It’s not about just the facts... it’s about the "ideas".

Danny Forster's keynote perfectly modeling the imp of good storytelling & asking good questions -> curiosity, critical thinking

open students minds to the questions behind the obvious, find the "why's" that get them hooked

Luv the headline, I'd go w/ "In a World of #2's...will u start the fire" reply w/ur headline
"Don't ask students what they r going 2b when they grow up, ask them what problem they want to solve"

Don't just give kids credit for things they can lookup get them 2 think critically, collaborate, create

Education cannot take place in a vacuum, we live in a team based world: Stdnts must collaborate

"Today's technology is the worst technology a five year old will ever see" So true!

Collaboration is not cheating.

Prepare stdnts 4 the real world, allow them 2 collaborate, investigate, create, fail, & succeed

Nothing Lasts Forever.

"I'm not smart but my network is brilliant, I have 27K minds in my back pocket, Twitter, are u connected?"~

step one, hatch the egg. your avatar is an extension of your soul. or, you know, a way not to feel like a n00b :)

"The quality of twitter is directly related 2 the quality of people ur conected 2."

When ur following the right people the info flows 2u


A3: in 40 mins I've gone from a bi-annual tweeter to a real believer in Twitter's value as a technology educator!

"I am convinced that students can learn in more ways than I could possibly teach" - MS math teacher

Create a course trailer before your online course begins.

of the day: "Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn." ~John Wesley

If we learn best by teaching, shouldn't we be giving more students the opportunity to teach? Especially when it comes to technology.

Welcome 2 the 100+ followers I picked up @ great 2 have u onboard my PLN, Now back 2 Nashville, thx 2 4 a great 3 days

My FETC Reflection other than my reaction to 4 days of rain in FLA: "The “C words” of Education"

Great time once again at ...have fun traveling home to where you call home on this map!



Graphic Created by Bill Ferriter RT : Great slide from presentation

Here's the short 15 second winning "Day in the Life" Instagram Video I threw together.