Monday, March 11, 2013

Why I do what I do...

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” ― Confucius

     While we all know this is not exactly true, the point is still well taken that enjoying what you do will make a big difference.  I think the greater truth is...

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

     It is not so much about loving your job as it is about making the most of the opportunities & challenges it bring you.  I attended EdCamp Columbus this past Saturday & several sessions/discussion made me realize that is what it is about. We have the choice each and everyday to experience, to reach out, to gain richer experiences, and so often we instead throw it away by complaining about the reason's "why not"  In @tobyfischer 's session we discussed the importance of discussing in "and" and not "but" the difference presents you with a fresh problem solving outlook.  Here is a tweet from Saturday:

Thought: do we complain about problems we can't fix b/c were too afraid or lazy 2 solve the ones we can?   

In reality, every day we get out of bed is a good day (yes, even on Spring Forward Sunday).  It is a new day with new challenges but also new possibilities.  Like everyone else, I got to work with things on my mind today, stressors, problems, bad weather, and I decided to look for the positive.  

Here is why I do what I do...

After helping a teacher with the launch of her new online course I got the email response: "Yay! I feel super cool.....my kids clapped for me:) Old dog...new trick! Thanks!"

That's why I do what I do!

Today on twitter I have been retweeted 10 times already & the past week I have gained 82 new followers.

That's why I do what I do!

Last year at Ed Camp I got 4 RCSD staff to attend professional development on a Saturday, this year we had 8...goal for next year 16!

That's why I do what I do!

My blog from Friday on "Tweeting DC: the 8th grade DC Trip" was reposted/published today by Scholastica Travel.

That's why I do what I do!

Email response from a teacher today who needed last second help "THANKS SO MUCH!!"

That's why I do what I do!
 
...and of course today I stumbled on a newer version of an older video I've watched by Taylor Mali...this is truly why I do what I do, enjoy, live each day for the opportunity!