Friday, December 21, 2012

How the Flipped Classroom Turned Me into a Better Student

Image credit: http://blog.wsd.net/skamp/files/2011/10/The-flipped-classroom.jpg
    One thing I always get tired on is experts (or those who think they are) criticizing others for not "doing it the right way".  Trends come & trends go.  Buzz words are often just that, buzz. However, as teachers on the front lines in the classroom, you have to do what works for your students. (Notice I didn't say what works for you, sometimes there is a difference.  We need to adapt to the needs of our students, not force them to adapt to our needs, but that is a post for a different day) This is not to say that you shouldn't be open to new & better ways, but the bottom line is if it is working don't get caught up in hermeneutics.

     One popular trend I see in this regard is the flipped classroom.  Everyone wants to argue what is & what is not a flipped classroom.  The bottom line is; "Flip teaching allows more hands-on time with the instructor guiding the students, allowing them to assist the students when they are assimilating information and creating new ideas (upper end of Bloom's Taxonomy)" ~ quoted from Wikipedia

Image credit: http://tech.district30.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/flipped-classroom-300x200.jpg

   Whatever it looks like, whatever you want to call it, if your students are benefiting from it, go with it.  Read the following article from gettingsmart.org which was very refreshing;

How the Flipped Classroom Turned Me into a Better Student

Kylie is a 12th Grade Student at Clintondale High School, in Clinton Township, Michigan 
My first two years of high school were a continuous struggle. I wasn’t very engaged during class, had a difficult time doing my homework, and was unable to get help from my parents because they didn’t know the material that I was being assigned. After my sophomore year I took the ACT test and scored a 13 – which was not good enough to have many options after high school. I began preparing myself to work at McDonalds because I didn’t think there would be anything else I’d be qualified to pursue after I finished high school. It wasn’t what I wanted – but it seemed to be my only option.
Don't stop here, get to the good part by reading the rest of the article here at gettingsmart.org

For more information on flipped classrooms visit the following resources on Flipping from Wikipedia: